When it comes to funding startups, Y Combinator is an incubation machine. And behind it are founder Paul Graham’s unique insights about what constitutes true innovation.
Have a fluid mind…
“I had in essence discovered the writer’s life, one that exists in the world of the pages of his or her story and then seamlessly steps into the realities of everyday life.” -Chinua Achebe, on writing Things Fall Apart. He passed away this morning at the age of 82.
Read his obituary in the NYT
A herculean mind… He will be missed.
So how does one achieve forgiveness from the permanently offended? Well, in the most extreme situations, there is always the shame-faced march to rehab (“It was the booze that inspired my Wagnarian fits of anti-Semitism, because such profanities don’t exist in my heart”). There is, however, a much cheaper option: the ritualistic public apology. As public pressure mounts on the offender, threatening to damage their own “brand” or a company’s earnings, a carefully crafted apology is released into the wild, America’s wounds are salved, and the braying mob moves on to its next victim. Nothing has changed, of course, but nothing was meant to have changed. Ours is an age of moral grandstanding—in 140 characters.
Our Insincere, Pointless Cult of Apology — The Daily Beast (via Newsweek)
This behavior existed before Twitter, but it’s certainly gotten much worse lately. (via ericmortensen)
While The Onion’s tweet was below the fray, there’s a good point being made here. (via shortformblog)
The 12 Trends That Will Rule Products in 2013
The design and innovation consultants at Ziba have put together a list of the trends that they think will have the most impact on product design this year.
1. THE MIND IS A COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT.
2. CUSTOMER-FACING EMPLOYEES ARE YOUR BRAIN AND YOUR BACKBONE.
3. ANALOG WILL NEVER GO AWAY.
4. WORTH IS DETERMINED BY PHILOSOPHY, NOT PRICE.
5. NARRATIVE IS A DELIVERY VEHICLE TO MAKE INFORMATION STICK.
6. REPAIR AND REPURPOSE ARE THE NEW KILLER APPS.
7. TECHNOLOGY MOVES TOO FAST TO CARE ABOUT.
8. FLAWLESS FUNCTION IS TOMORROW’S GREAT USER EXPERIENCE.
9. BRAND LOYALTY IS HOW WE ESCAPE DECISION FATIGUE.
10. HUMAN INTERACTION HAS NEVER BEEN MORE PRECIOUS.
11. GEN Y IS CREATING ITS OWN SERVICE ECONOMY
12. EVERYONE IS A SPECIALIST.
CHECK OUT THE FULL STORY HERE.
Kids are amazing….
To succeed at building your startup you need to focus.
This infographic is about eliminating everything from your life that does not help your startup.
(Via Funders and Founders)
Don’t fake it till you make it. Fake it till you become it…
— Amy Cuddy